Will i get jail time or probation for felony charge of theft for 3500 . On my first ever felony charge .

I have no criminal history . Just in the wrong place at the wrong time . Really need advise .

Amarillo, TX -

Katherine Ellen Shipman

Katherine Ellen Shipman

Criminal Defense Attorney - Conroe, TX

Whether you get jail time or probation depends on a number of factors that are too numerous to list here. Without prior convictions of any kind, the range of punishment for theft of between $1500 and $20,000 is a fine of up to $10,000 and between six months and two years in a state jail facility. It is a "State Jail Felony", which means you would have a felony on your record for life if you are convicted. In most jurisdictions, probation would not be uncommon with an otherwise clean criminal history.

It is critical that you hire competent, knowledgeable counsel to advise you. A felony charge, and/or a theft charge, has serious consequences that could affect the rest of your life.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Criminal Defense Attorney - Dallas, TX

You really need an experienced defense attorney. The question is not probation versus jail time. It's probation versus prison time. If you are not guilty, you may need to have a trial. Your attorney will gather the discovery and review it with you, so that you can develop a game plan.

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Angelo, TX

Ms. Shipman and Ms. Jaggers give excellent answers. And, with no criminal history, you may even have a shot at some kind of diversion program depending on what's available in the county where this is going down. So, get a good criminal defense lawyer and be sure to let him or her know up front that, as you say, you have no criminal record.

David Daniel White

David Daniel White

Criminal Defense Attorney - Austin, TX

As long as restitution is paid I can't imagine a situation where you couldn't work out a plea excluding a felony conviction and/or jail time.

The Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
1205 Rio Grande St.
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 369-3737