Will I get jail time for missing a few domestic violence sessions?

Milton, FL |

I started attending the domestic violence sessions immediately after being released from county jail. I missed a few classes due to injury which led to less hours from work. So my income was very low and I wasn't able to pay at the sessions so I didn't attend. Now I have court soon and I'm wondering if this will lead me to jail time? From my understand,it shouldn't because its not an actual violation but I would like your opinion. (Misdemeanor probation)

If the classes were court ordered for probation then you must complete the required amount. Many times if you miss a class (ie batter's intervention classes) you have to start over from the beginning again. If you run out of time and cannot complete the classes prior to probation ending then you may face a violation and possible jail.

Most programs work with folks on a sliding scale with income.

Best of luck.

Visit to ask your legal question or call for a more detailed free consultation for your legal issue. Call us at 727-202-5122 / 352-587-5011 / 813-252-2262 Any information provided is for general purposes only. An attorney client relationship is not formed.

If you have a lawyer, you must let him/her know BEFORE Court, if not, you probably should consult one. Good Luck.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

YES. if you want to be safe, get a lawyer to clarify with the court that it was not intentional but related to money. I hope it will go well for you but a judge can toss you into jail for not doing the classes. Make sure you can establish you did not willfully miss. For instance, did you reach out to DV counselor and explain via email that you could not make class bc of lack of money or did you just fail to show without any notice? These are the questions a Judge may ask among many others.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. 407-588-6714

Carin Manders Constantine

Carin Manders Constantine

To the person asking the question. Please follow Mr. Umansky's advice!

It may. You should discuss this with your attorney. If you do not have one it is time to retain one.

Talk to someone! National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) /

The Cycle of Domestic Violence

In 1979, psychologist Lenore Walker found that many violent relationships follow a common pattern or cycle. The entire cycle may happen in one day or it may take weeks or months. It is different for every relationship and not all relationships follow the cycle—many report a constant stage of siege with little relief.

This cycle has three parts:

Tension building phase—Tension builds over common domestic issues like money, children or jobs. Verbal abuse begins. The victim tries to control the situation by pleasing the abuser, giving in or avoiding the abuse. None of these will stop the violence. Eventually, the tension reaches a boiling point and physical abuse begins.

Acute battering episode—When the tension peaks, the physical violence begins. It is usually triggered by the presence of an external event or by the abuser’s emotional state—but not by the victim’s behavior. This means the start of the battering episode is unpredictable and beyond the victim’s control. However, some experts believe that in some cases victims may unconsciously provoke the abuse so they can release the tension, and move on to the honeymoon phase.

The honeymoon phase—First, the abuser is ashamed of his behavior. He expresses remorse, tries to minimize the abuse and might even blame it on the partner. He may then exhibit loving, kind behavior followed by apologies, generosity and helpfulness. He will genuinely attempt to convince the partner that the abuse will not happen again. This loving and contrite behavior strengthens the bond between the partners and will probably convince the victim, once again, that leaving the relationship is not necessary.

This cycle continues over and over, and may help explain why victims stay in abusive relationships. The abuse may be terrible, but the promises and generosity of the honeymoon phase give the victim the false belief that everything will be all right.

Good Luck,

James Regan, LL.M*, Esq. (Master of Intercultural Human Rights Law) (Visit us on Facebook)

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.