Will I get in trouble for failing a drug test on house arrest for prescribed medication that I forgot to report ahead of time?

Christiansburg, VA |

I've been put on house arrest for 12 days. When I did all the paperwork, the deputy asked if I was taking any prescribed medication and I said no. Well, I forgot to tell him I have a prescription for adderall. I usually don't take it unless I have a lot to do because it helps me focus and get things done faster. I've had a bottle of my adderall that I got filled a couple weeks before my house arrest, and I mindlessly took one today to help me clean my house. I then realized that I didn't tell the officer about the prescription and my house arrest contract says I have to report all prescribed medications when they first put my bracelet on. My drug test is in 2 days and I know the adderall will show up and I'm so worried that I'll get in trouble. Do you think this will be a problem?

1. 1. take the bottle to the test and show the prescription, 2. call your probation officer and be honest. The rest will be up to the judge. Think about what you are doing in the future.

If you are involved in a criminal law matter in Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside or San Bernardino, California. Consider how much your freedom is worth. Other States have different Laws. Always, consult attorneys in your state!! Use Avvo’s tab “find a Lawyer” above.

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTE RIGHTS TO COUNSEL, TO CONFRONT YOUR ACCUSERS
    TO REFUSE TO TESTIFY AGAINST YOURSELF,
    TO WITNESSES BEING SUBPEONED,
    ETC. GUARANTEED BY THE CONSTITUTION
    DO NOT WAIVE THEM, IF NECESSARY ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE ARRESTED. IN MY 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE 99% OF THE PERSONS WHO HAVE TALKED WITH THE POLICE HAVE HURT THEIR CASES!!
    WOULD YOU BET MONEY ON THOSE ODDS, WHY BET YOUR FREEDOM! POLICE ARE TRAINED IN INTERROGATION TECHNIGUES AND ALLOWED TO LIE, THEY ARE TALKING TO YOU TO GET EVIDENCE TO USE AGAINST YOU!!

YOU CAN TALK TO YOUR ATTORNEY AND HIS STATEMENTS TO THE POLICE CAN NOT BE USED AGAINST YOU.

In all legal matters, the court generally uses the reasoning of IRAC. I for issues, what are the facts and what remedies do you seek. R stands for rules and reasoning, what are the laws and what makes common sense. A is analysis how do the laws and common sense apply, C is conclusion, what are the arguments pro and con..

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

2. If you have a valid prescription, you won't get into trouble. Take the prescription or a not from your doctor to your probation officer. Good luck.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.