Skip to main content

Will I get deported?

Iowa City, IA |

I was on my J 1 visa, as an au pair. I fished my year, but in meanwhile before the end I got pregnant.
Father of my baby is African, so he is not an America citizen.
As soon as I started my relationship with him, I got threats over facebook from back home, that I should be burn on time square for example, same with my daughter because I had her with men who is another color skin.
I was afraid of going back home, I tried to get in school but my parents don't have money to do it.
While I was in a relationship with him, I was abused and isolated.
He had my passport.
We moved to Iowa, and here one morning DHS came and asked me to come to their office in Cedar Rapids, to do paperwork.
Witch I did.
I am waiting for my court hearing in Omaha. What are my chances for getting a sort relief ?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need to hire a lawyer or call the Creighton University Law school clinic. You case is very complicated and has a number of possibilities for relief, but you will not be able to explore them in this forum. Have you already received a Notice to Appear and a hearing notice giving you a date to go to Immigration court in Omaha? If so, don't wait any longer to hire a lawyer.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

  2. Not chances for any type of immigration relief and avoiding an order of removal do not look very good, am afraid.. Immediately schedule a private consultation meeting with a LOCAL immigration lawyer who might see something else that I don't see..

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Possible asylum case. Meet with an experienced immigration attorney.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. I am sorry to hear you are in this situation. You may have options available to you. For example, if you can show that you have a well-founded fear of persecution should you return to your home country based on certain grounds, you may qualify for asylum/withholding of removal. Because it appears you've been a victim of domestic violence, you may qualify for a U Visa as a victim of a crime (if you called the police or reported the crime). I would speak to a knowledgeable immigration attorney to see what your options might be. Good luck.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics