Will I get arrested for showing up to court to try to deal with a bench warrant due to driving on a suspended license?

Asked over 1 year ago - Merced, CA

My license was suspended due to not paying traffic tickets, a speeding ticket and a ticket for not having proof of license or insurance(although I legally had both at the time). I need to clear up my warrant before my new job will let me start working. Can I talk to a judge and maybe work out payment arrangements to at least get my warrant taken care of? I need to work in order to pay the fines but a lot of jobs don't want to hire because of the warrant- it keeps going around and around!!

1. Greg Thomas Hill

2

4

Answered . The answer to whether you will be arrested is probably not. As one of the prior attorneys answering this question commented, hiring an attorney to appear for you is a good idea. If the attorney is in the courthouse regularly, it is likely that the judge will lift the warrant, removing it from your record. However, the judge will ask the attorney to enter a plea to the driving without a license or proof of insurance case, which are misdemeanors (not really just a traffic ticket). This will mean your attorney will then want to show the prosecutor the insurance and license with a date showing each were valid on the date of the ticket. You may be lucky enough to have the case dismissed or reduced to an infraction with payment of a fine. As to payment of the fine associated with the speeding ticket, talk to the court clerk. You may be able to work something out if the fine has not been referred to collections.

2. Jeffrey Dean Schwartz

2

1

Answered . Most courts have a process where you add yourself to the calendar to take care of outstanding warrants. If you call the clerk's office often there will be a menu option to choose related to recalling warrants. If not get to a live clerk who will tell you how to do this. With traffic tickets and the like you should have no problems getting the warrant recalled and getting yourself on a payment plan for the outstanding tickets.

3. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

2

Answered . The chances of being arrested decrease dramatically if you retain an attorney to appear on your behalf because you won't need to appear which means you aren't there to be arrested. In addition, the bench warrant will be recalled, thus take care of. Good luck.

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . One hint do not drive to the court as some judges will send an officer out to see if you leave driving.