Will i ever get my citizenship or be deported?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I have been a greencard holder for almost 7 years already. I have never applied for a citizenship. Last year i got charged with three separate DUIs which all happened within a 4 months period. I'm still beating the cases with my lawyer. I got charged with the aggrevated DUI for the 3rd case as also was on suspended licence and lost a trial where i was found guilty. The second DUI case is going to be dismissed-no evidence, and the first one is still in process. What would happen with my legal status? Will i be eligible for citizenship or be deported?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . You cannot naturalize while you are on probation.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . You can not be eligible for citizenship while on probation for your DUIs.

Those DUIs do not, however, render you deportable.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . Have an immigration lawyer review your criminal files.

Most likely you'll have to wait an additional 5 years before you're eligible to file for citizenship.

4. Julia Sverdloff

1

Answered . You need to consult with an immigration attorney who will review your criminal file. That being said, one cannot naturalize while still on probation. Additionally, provided what you mention, you will in most likelihood need to wait an additional five (5) years before you file for naturalization.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.