Will I definitely get a civil demand letter in the mail?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Providence, RI

I was caught shoplifting a 6 dollar ring (stupid I know) from Urban Outfitters and they took down the information on my license as well as my phone number. No police were called and they didn't get my social security number. Will I get a civil demand letter in the mail? And if I do, what will happen to me if I don't pay it? I'm in college and I don't want something so petty to be put on my record and prevent me from getting a job. Thanks in advance.

1. Carl P DeLuca

Pro

2

Answered . There's no way to know if you will definitely get a civil demand letter. However, it seems to me that this has become a cottage industry for come collection attorneys and a new income source for retailers. I see more and more civil demand letters each year.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

Answered . No cops usually means no prosecution and no arrest record.
    Generally the advice here is to ignore the civil demand. I would suggest that you might consider a conversation with an attorney as the laws are different in each state.

3. Douglas Holbrook

1

Answered . You should definitely anticipate a civil demand letter. I would advise you to ignore it when it arrives.