Will I definitely get a civil demand letter in the mail?

Providence, RI |

I was caught shoplifting a 6 dollar ring (stupid I know) from Urban Outfitters and they took down the information on my license as well as my phone number. No police were called and they didn't get my social security number. Will I get a civil demand letter in the mail? And if I do, what will happen to me if I don't pay it? I'm in college and I don't want something so petty to be put on my record and prevent me from getting a job. Thanks in advance.

There's no way to know if you will definitely get a civil demand letter. However, it seems to me that this has become a cottage industry for come collection attorneys and a new income source for retailers. I see more and more civil demand letters each year.

Rhode Island is a very small jurisdiction so it's important that you consider the possibility that people who you know may see your question or that the facts discussed here may be subject to discovery requests if you become involved in litigation. Please remember that it is not possible to give proper legal advice without a thorough consultation and this answer is meant only to provide you with some guidance. Contact an experienced attorney at your earliest convenience to discuss your case thoroughly. The above was provided purely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and the attorney.

No cops usually means no prosecution and no arrest record.
Generally the advice here is to ignore the civil demand. I would suggest that you might consider a conversation with an attorney as the laws are different in each state.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

You should definitely anticipate a civil demand letter. I would advise you to ignore it when it arrives.