Will I be sued by my former employer if I talk to the media (tv, radio, writing book) about my experience during my employment?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

During my employment, I was under hostile work environment with male dominant group. I was fired by an action of employer's retaliation. I do not have money to hire the powerful lawyer to represent me.
I am very frustrated, I have worked all my life for this career. I basically have to give up for everything I have build for my career. Please help me.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Assuming you have no confidentiality agreement you can talk to anyone you want. Of course your former employer can sue you if it thinks you said something defamatory. In addition, if your comments end up on the internet potential employers may not hire you out of fear you will go to the media about them some day.

2. Robert V Cornish Jr.

2

Answered . Be very careful dealing with the media. As stated previously, defamation is a paramount concern, in addition to what may be called "false light" privacy issues. If you can't find an attorney here on AVVO, contact the offices of the Bar of the City of New York to ask about their referral program.

3. Alix R. Rubin

2

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys that you should review any agreements you signed with your former employer to be sure you are not violating them by speaking to the media. You should also be careful to reveal only the undeniable truth and consider your reputation in the industry.

Regarding hiring an attorney to represent you, if you have a strong enough case, an attorney will represent you on a contingency fee basis. That means you do not have to pay any legal fees upfront -- although you may be asked to pay for such costs as filing and expert fees. The attorney's fee will be a percentage of your recovery, deducted when you receive it.

4. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

2

Answered . If you have a strong enough case to garner media attention then certainly you have a strong enough case for an employment attorney to take your case on contingency. I would be happy to offer you a free consultation and let you know my thoughts.
    Ryan Finn
    Serving clients throughout New York State