Skip to main content

Will I be sued by my former employer if I talk to the media (tv, radio, writing book) about my experience during my employment?

New York, NY |

During my employment, I was under hostile work environment with male dominant group. I was fired by an action of employer's retaliation. I do not have money to hire the powerful lawyer to represent me.
I am very frustrated, I have worked all my life for this career. I basically have to give up for everything I have build for my career. Please help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Assuming you have no confidentiality agreement you can talk to anyone you want. Of course your former employer can sue you if it thinks you said something defamatory. In addition, if your comments end up on the internet potential employers may not hire you out of fear you will go to the media about them some day.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Be very careful dealing with the media. As stated previously, defamation is a paramount concern, in addition to what may be called "false light" privacy issues. If you can't find an attorney here on AVVO, contact the offices of the Bar of the City of New York to ask about their referral program.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with the other attorneys that you should review any agreements you signed with your former employer to be sure you are not violating them by speaking to the media. You should also be careful to reveal only the undeniable truth and consider your reputation in the industry.

Regarding hiring an attorney to represent you, if you have a strong enough case, an attorney will represent you on a contingency fee basis. That means you do not have to pay any legal fees upfront -- although you may be asked to pay for such costs as filing and expert fees. The attorney's fee will be a percentage of your recovery, deducted when you receive it.

The information provided above is for general purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Seek competent legal representation, because the facts of each case are different.


If you have a strong enough case to garner media attention then certainly you have a strong enough case for an employment attorney to take your case on contingency. I would be happy to offer you a free consultation and let you know my thoughts.
Ryan Finn
Serving clients throughout New York State

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer