Will I be qualified for Green Card through VAWA now if DV happened 7 yrs back when I was on dependent visa ?

Asked 5 months ago - Sunnyvale, CA

We have been separated for six months. My soon-to-be-ex husband got his GC last week. I want to get a new visa because my dependent visa got invalid last week. Will I be qualified to file for VAWA now ? How about U-visa ?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

Answered . No, you fail to qualify for either one based on the information you provided here.

2. Morrie Pour Nourian

1

Answered . Based on your statement here no you are not qualified for either one.

3. Floyd J. Fernandez

1

Answered . The divorce must be on file for two years or less, and the VAWA petition must show that the alleged violence must be connected with the divorce or official legal separation. Since the act occurred seven years ago, you are not eligible to file for a VAWA-based petition. A U-Visa is not available also, due to failure to report the crime to the police and file formal charges.