Will I be prevented from getting a job as a minor if I have been caught shoplifting? And what about when I am over 18?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

I am 16, I stole over $50 at a Macy's so I was handed over to the police

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frances Jean Moss Sullivan

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . It depends on the outcome of the theft case. If there is a conviction, it will may affect your job opportunities. If there is not a conviction yet, you may be able to keep it off your record. Without knowing more about the situation, it is hard to say exactly how it will affect you. If the case is still open, you should contact a local attorney to help you with this case so it doesn't affect you in the future.

    The information provided does not constitute legal advice and is presented without any representation or warranty... more
  2. Jodi Soyars


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Juvenile records can be sealed but it takes additional steps. Do not assume that taking a deferred and successfully completing it will mean it won't show up after you turn 18.

    This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client... more
  3. Cesar Garcia

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Where you get a dismissal or successfully complete a deferred contract, you might still have an arrest record which could affect your employment opportunities. After the court case is complete, you should speak with an attorney about possibly sealing your juvenile record.

    This answer is meant for information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship has been established between... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,934 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,934 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering