Will I be penalized if i use the money i received from my divorce awarded to me from my ex-husband IRA account. ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chesterfield, MO

I was awarded 61K from my ex-husband IRA former his former employer pension plan. Will i be penalized and have to pay taxes or will my husband have to pay the taxes on the funds before they are transferred to me. I want to use the money to buy me a home. I will not be retirement age for another 6 years.

1. Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

2

1

Answered . You will have to pay ordinary income taxes on your withdrawal. If you are not yet 59 1/2 years of age, you will also have a penalty. You need to consult with your financial advisor to find out how much your taxes will be.

As a general rule, the provider of the IRA will withhold 20% of the distribution. You need to check with your financial advisor to see if you are old enough to avoid the withholding.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Depends if your husband transfer the money out of his account or whether the account is transferred pursuant to a court order to your IRA and then you take it out. Speak with a CPA about the tax consequences. If you take money out if the IRA too early there is a 10 percent penalty and it is taxable at your marginal tax rate.

3. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

1

Answered . Depends on what kind of IRA it came out of.