Will i be penalized for working as an F-1 visa student while out of status in the USA.

Asked 10 months ago - Towson, MD

I had the unfortunate experience of dating a lunatic while i was enrolled in school here on my F-1 visa. She was black and she would always harass me, anyway due to my justified infidelity she called the cops on me and accused me of hitting her. i was arrested but later she was exposed and the charges where dropped, and i have expunged them. that's how i became out of status because i missed one year, anyway i am back in school and there is this great internship opportunity with a stipend, that needs my social security number which i have. the question is will i get in trouble with immigration if i work this internship and get paid while out of status. thank you.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Penalized? It is not a criminal offense. You will have serious issues when and if you decide to renew your visa, apply for change or adjustment of status or anything else in between.

2. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

3

Answered . A few things in your question raise my concern. First off, what relevance is the fact that she was black? Secondly, I don't know what you mean by 'justified infidelity' but it would probably have been better for you to break things off with her before engaging in the 'justified' infidelity - I am sure you would have wanted that respect had you been on the receiving end of such infidelity. Finally, as to your question, it is not a good idea to work without authorization while on an F1 visa. There is a tight exception for emergencies for students to obtain employment authorization, but I am not sure if your situation as described would qualify for this, so you should consult an immigration attorney directly for more guidance. As to if you can work under the internship capacity, I would ask the school's DSO. I would strongly advise you not to do it on your own without authorization.

3. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

3

Answered . Why is the fact that she was black relevant in asking your question? In any event, this will certainly come out if and when you try to adjust your status.

4. Maria J. Marty

Pro

1

Answered . It's unauthorized employment and it will affect your future immigration status.