Will I be penalized because I didn't initiate settlement discussions with opposing counsel in my lawsuit?

Asked over 2 years ago - Long Beach, CA

According to the California Rules of Court, I should have initiated settlement talks not less than 30 days prior to the case management conference which is next week. Here's the rule: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm...

Thanks for the help.

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . Note the rule is addressed to "the parties." Deadlines are extremely important and a party can forfeit his or her entire case or be sanctioned by the court by failure to adhere to deadlines. However, deadlines that require the parties to do something between or among themselves (as opposed to deadlines requiring something to be filed with the court) are often extended by the parties, either specifically in writing or by missing the deadline, which seams to be what happened in your case. It's best to try to meet the requirement late as opposed to ignoring it. So go ahead and call up the opposing attorney (or if the party is not represented, call the party) and talk about settlement. If you don't reach the party, leave a message. After the call or message, send a letter to the other side memorializing the communication.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

8

1

Answered . No, there is no penalty for failing to discuss settlement in connection with a meet and confer in preparation for a Case Management Conference.

However, you should be prepared to tell the judge at the CMC whether you are amenable to mediation.

3. Molly Cristin Hansen

8

1

Answered . Why not reach out today? Both you and your opposing counsel (if your opposing counsel has not initiated a call to you) are setting yourselves up to upset the presiding judge, which is certainly NOT in your client's best interest.

There is no requirement that you initiate settlement talks if your client has made clear that he/she is not interested in settlement. If that is the case, then the answer to Question 6 will simply be no. However, there are a number of other issues that should be discussed with opposing counsel PRIOR to your arrival at the CMC, and I would encourage you to touch bases with opposing counsel on those points today!

4. David Thien Tran

6

1

Answered . generally, as long as you pick up the phone and start talking about settlement and/or the potential for the framework of how to settle, that would comply and you can tell the court that you had. What the court doesn't want to hear is at the case management conference is that you have done nothing.

start talks with opposing counsel before the cmc.