Will I be hold up in the Airport?

Flushing, NY |

3 years ago, I got arrested for shoplifting twice. The second time after I paid $3000 bail I left for Asia. Until today. Will I be hold up in the airport when I back to U.S.

Is this "bail jumping"? I am a US citizen. I am worry about I will be arrest on the spot and no body can help me. I am planning back to US around July. What should I do before that? How do I know if I have a open warrant?

1. Are you a US citizen? If YES, you should not have a problem. If NO, it could depend on what you plead guilty to. If you received something that did not leave you a criminal record you should not have a problem. If you received two petit larceny convictions you could have a problem.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. It is quite possible. If you have an open warrant there may be information which shows up when you try to enter. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. Yes....You very likely will.
    Hire an attorney to appear for you to ask the judge to vacate the warrant.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

4. As you are a United States Citizen there are no immigration worries. Whether you are stopped by ICE in the airport is dependent on what information is in their computers as to any warrants or detainers. It may be that there is none in their computer which does not mean that you should not take care of your warrant. There is always the potential with being charged with an additional charge of bail jumping. You should hire an attorney to look into this matter immediately and prior to your return.

5. You need to contact the court to find out if there are warrants. An attorney can help you. It is only bail jumping if you failed to appear in court when you were supposed to and if so you better fix it right away and have a very good reason for not showing up.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    (347) 628-2391

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com