Will I be hold liable if I assist my spouse in getting green card once we decide to divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

I sponsored my spouse in green card application some time ago. Now we are in divorce and already signed a Martial Settlement Agreement but have not filed for divorce yet. The interview date is coming. If I go to the interview with her but do not tell any lies during the interview, and wait until she gets the card before file for divorce, will I have any liability? Many thanks!

This is not a marriage fraud. We did not get married for green card. We have married for 3+ years. It happens that the marriage does not work and I still want to help her in getting green card. Will I have any problem because of helping her?

1. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

17

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Please meet with an experienced immigration attorney prior to doing what you are intending.

2. Adam Michael Solow

Pro

15

Answered . The standard is whether or not your marriage was bona fide when you entered into it. You should both speak to an attorney and explain the situation before your interview.

3. Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Pro

15

Answered . I agree with Eric. You're making a grave mistake. Speak with any competent, experienced immigration attorney.

4. Eric M. Mark

Pro

14

Answered . Held liable for for what? The biggest risk is the denial of a the green card and possibly an accusation of marriage fraud. You are making a HUGE mistake if you go through with the interview without consulting with a lawyer. You need to give the lawyer time to prepare, as well, so do not wait until right before the interview. Find someone ASAP.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

13

Answered . Liable? As in $10,000 fine and/or time in jail for committing marriage fraud on the US government?

Quite possibly. Talk to a lawyer.

6. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Have a discussion with an immigration attorney as soon as possible.

7. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

11

Answered . Yes. it is called a federal crime of marriage fraud. I strongly recommend deleting your initial posting as potentially incriminating if you decide to proceed.

8. Carlos Yarot Montoya

8

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues on the care you should take to avoid criminal and civil liabilities regarding marriage fraud. Consult an experienced immigration attorney because you want to stay out of those troubles. You asked a question about liability, so I will focus on that. Unless certain exceptions are met, someone with a petition like yours typically files an I-864 affidavit of support (a contract you make with the US government). You agree in that form to be liable and maintain the immigrant at 125% of the federal poverty level for several years . In addition to an immigration attorney, you should consider taking your I-864 and get an additional assessment from a family law attorney to help you assess your liability.

9. David Alexander Browde

Pro

7

Answered . No.