Will I be fined / punished for receiving unemployment benefits under the age of 18?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I was trying to open my unemployment (California) and realized that I received unemployment insurance when I was 17. At the time, I had my boss walk me through the steps of it & told me it was no big deal. Today, I realize it stayed on file. I need to open my unemployment but I'm too paranoid to get in trouble. What do I do?

I failed to mention this was years ago. Thanks.

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . Is there a reason you think you did something wrong? Perhaps there is a rule that says one must be 18 to receive unemployment benefits, but I haven't heard of this. If you were legally working and your employer made the mandatory contributions to unemployment, then I'm not sure what you are worried about. Perhaps you can clarify the reason for your concern.

If you are eligible for unemployment benefits now, go ahead an apply. If there is a problem with what happened when you were 17, you can explain that to the California Employment Development Department (EDD) either during the application process (during a phone call from EDD) or in an appeal (if you are denied).