Will i be eligible for the bill which Obama passed for students?

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I came here three years ago, when i was 16 now i am 19. I came here legally but i got out of status in 9 months, I was on H4 visa then my dad got laid off. I am currently a college student, i passed my GED and i will be graduating college in 5 months. I am studying illegally in Texas, will this bill help me in anyway?... the current condition of my country is really bad and i can't go back home. Will I be eligible or not?

1. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . No. You are not eligible under this new policy because you entered the US at the age of 16. The Department of Homeland Security has posted guidelines on the web. There is a link on my website in the news secrion. You may have other options so schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.

2. Arie Ebrahimian

Answered . Hello. To be clear: the new Obama policy is not law. No bill was passed. Only Congress can pass immigration-related legislation. President Obama's deferred action policy is a form of prosecutorial discretion that allows an individual to remain temporarily in the United States and apply for work authorization. It does not confer any kind of permanent residence, nor is it an amnesty. Under this program, deferred action would be granted for two year increments and would be renewable.

Based on your posting, it appears that you may not be eligible for the Obama policy. To qualify for deferred action, you must show - among 5 things - that you entered the United States UNDER the age of sixteen. Because you entered the United States when you were 16, you may not qualify. That said, you should double check your age at the time of entry and consult with a local immigration attorney to further explore your eligibility for the Obama policy.

LAW OFFICE OF ARIE EBRAHIMIAN
    8889 WEST OLYMPIC BOULEVARD, SUITE 200
    BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90211
    (888) 980-2743
    (888) 980-ARIE
    ARIE@DREAMACTLAWYER.US

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . 1. Obama's action is a policy and not a law. It is not an Act.

2. USCIS has yet to announce how the application process will be carried on.

3. I will be updating http://engnishimura.com/faqs/deferred-action-yo... as details become available.

4. Obama's policy does not provide immigration status. It only prevents qualifying individuals from being deported and may provide them with a work permit.

If you just came to the US three years ago, then unfortunately you do not qualify.