Will I be drug tested at my trial date?

Asked over 3 years ago - Henderson, NV

I was pulled over almost 3 months ago now and the police searched the car (which is in my mothers name) only to find marijuana (under an oz.) and a pipe and scale. I was cited on my ticket with one possession charge and one paraphernalia charge. For my original hearing on this case I pled not guilty, so they gave me a trial date for about a month and a half later. Do you believe they will be drug testing me at this trial date, as one way to maybe prove the marijuana was mine? This is my first offense ever, so also keep that in mind.

I was also wondering if it would be helpful to bring my school transcripts to court? I was a valedictorian at my high school and I am currently enrolled in college.

1. Paul J Adras

Pro

Answered . To best answer this question, I would need to know the reason you were stopped, and the reason for the search. In other words, I need to review the discovery in the case before making specific recommendations to you.

While it is possible that the court could test you for the presence of drugs at the next court date, it is very uncommon for this to happen in the Las Vegas, Nevada area if you have no prior criminal history. You will want a laywer to represent you in this case.

2. Stephen D Aarons

Answered . Because they COULD test you at the conclusion of the court hearing, and arrest you if your nanogram level indicates recent marijuana use - it makes sense to stay clean until your court hearings and probation are over. THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, can stay in your fat cells for a month and be still detected by the test!

3. Theodore W. Robinson

Answered . It is not clear from your question whether or not you have an attorney. If you don't yet have one, consult with one with a view towards hiriing one if you intend upon going to trial.

As for being forced to take a drug test, its unlikely unless and until you are convicted and if that happens then its mandatory.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now