Will I be deported?

Lawrence, KS |

I have been charged with dui of alcohol, inattentive driving, no insurance and expired drivers license. These are four misdemeanor charges. The case is in court and I have not been convicted yet. Does the probability of deportation depend on me getting convicted? What if I get a diversion? I am an international student on a F1 visa.

1. You need to immediately speak with an immigration attorney as well as a criminal defense attorney who handles dui. There are very few who do both. The immigration attorney will be a little harder to find but there are several very good ones in Kansas City. You must speak with a dui attorney to discuss your options. There may be defenses of which you are unaware. Diversion might be an option but do not go without the advice of counsel. If you are still within 14 days of the arrest you may be able to try to prevent a license suspension because of this event.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

2. I agree completely with Attorney Lewis, your number one priority needs to be to speak with an immigration attorney, then you need to speak with an attorney who specializes in DUI defense. Best of Luck.

3. Fortunately for you, these are not deportable crimes.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

4. I agree with my colleagues. You must speak with an immigration attorney and a criminal defense attorney before moving forward.

Good luck!

Richa Puri

DUI topics