Will I be deported?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lawrence, KS

I have been charged with dui of alcohol, inattentive driving, no insurance and expired drivers license. These are four misdemeanor charges. The case is in court and I have not been convicted yet. Does the probability of deportation depend on me getting convicted? What if I get a diversion? I am an international student on a F1 visa.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Fortunately for you, these are not deportable crimes.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Patrick Michael Lewis


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to immediately speak with an immigration attorney as well as a criminal defense attorney who handles dui. There are very few who do both. The immigration attorney will be a little harder to find but there are several very good ones in Kansas City. You must speak with a dui attorney to discuss your options. There may be defenses of which you are unaware. Diversion might be an option but do not go without the advice of counsel. If you are still within 14 days of the arrest you may be able to try to prevent a license suspension because of this event.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is... more
  3. Robert C. Gigstad

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree completely with Attorney Lewis, your number one priority needs to be to speak with an immigration attorney, then you need to speak with an attorney who specializes in DUI defense. Best of Luck.

  4. Richa Puri

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You must speak with an immigration attorney and a criminal defense attorney before moving forward.

    Good luck!

    Richa Puri

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,198 answers this week

3,416 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,198 answers this week

3,416 attorneys answering