Will I be denied to take Series 7, if I have a past conviction of 'misdemeanor of disorderly conduct' that is expunged?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I was convicted of 'midemeanor of disorderly conduct' over 10 years ago, and that charge was expunged over 7 years ago. I currently work at an investment bank and the fact that my background check came clean means nothing came up on my criminal background check. However, I am asked to take the Series & (not mandatory) which will help my career. I would like to take it without my investment bank knowing about my prior conviction. Please advise.

I was convicted in the state of New Jersey and I work as a middle office analyst (project management) at an investment bank in NYC (since past 3 years).
I spoke to FINRA (that governs the Series 7 exam) today, and they stated that if the conviction was 10 years ago, and the misdemeanor was expunged thereafter then it will not show up when they run the fingerprints.

1. Marco Caviglia

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . You should consult a NJ attorney since, as the other attorneys point out, the law differs in NY. You should also consult the licensing authority in your field to see if you are pre-empted from the Series 7 license/certification if you have such a conviction.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . In New York Disorderly Conduct is a violation, not a crime. New York does not exunge.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . This did not happen in NY so re-post wherever it occurred and also add employment. There is no misdemeanor disorderly conduct in NY, nor is there expungement in NY.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. John J. Carney

Pro

Answered . .Post in your state, this is not a NY issue.