Will I be charged with a felony or will my charges be reduced?

Blacksburg, VA |

Went into an abandoned house through an open window, took some stuff that resulted in grand larceny and breaking and entering, do you think they will reduce my charges? And not have a felony on my record. The items were returned and this is the first and last time I will ever be in trouble with the law. Both charges Are felonies. I really can't afford to have those on my record trying to be a teacher.

Also I don't have Any money to hire a lawyer so I have to go with a public defender.

1. Well, the answer to your first question has already been answered for you, you have indeed been charged with felonies. As to whether they may be reduced or dismissed depends upon a number of factors that you will need to discuss with your public defender. Do not speak about the case or the facts with anyone else until you have spoken with your attorney.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

2. Should have thought about the consequences (opportunity to teach) BEFORE breaking and entering. Your charges are serious. Your future uncertain. Hire a criminal defense attorney immediately.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.