Skip to main content

Will I be arrested if I update/renew my ID in Minnesota?

Eveleth, MN |

I owe back child support but haven't been able to work for that last few years. I moved to Minnesota 4 months ago and my ID is expired. Will I be arrested if I go renew my ID?

Attorney Answers 3


If your income situation changed, it is up to you to file a motion to modify your support obligation and you should do so immediately.

You may be arrested if a warrant issued for your arrest. However, for that to have occurred, you must have been found in contempt of court or a criminal charge was filed for non-support.

for a consultation call 612.240.8005

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You could only be arrested if charges have been pursued against you.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Mark as helpful


Have you gotten any information from the court recently that would indicate that they are finding you in contempt? Did the court or your child's other parent know how to reach you? I would call your county child support office to find out if they have ever filed a motion of contempt against you. If not, there is probably not a warrant out for your arrest. Regardless, you need to give them your current information. You are going to continue to owe your current rate of child support until you get the order modified to reflect your current income. Unless you're on disability (or have some other extraordinarily good reason why you are unable to work), the court is going to presume that you are able to work and will most likely prescribe against you an amount of "potential income." Without looking at your current order, I do not know if that amount will be lower than the amount you were making when the order was issued, but it is possible. Regardless, you should tell the worker about your circumstances in order to avoid making circumstances worse.

Dana C. Rindahl is an attorney/partner at Perez & Rindahl Law, LLC. We are located at 842 Raymond Avenue, Suite 200, Saint Paul, MN 55114. Any information we have provided on this site does not establish an attorney/client relationship. We encourage you to contact us for a formal consultation that will allow for us to both obtain more information from you and to look at all of the evidence surrounding the case. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 763-463-0367.

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics