Will I be arrested? Shoplifting....

Newark, DE |

I was arrested for shoplifting three years ago. I took an item worth less than 50 dollars . I had a court date but was not able to attend it, had to go back to my home country because of family matter. I had a greencard at that time, not anymore. I have no idea what happend to my case. I live in Hong Kong now and recently met my future husband. He is American and wants to bring me to US through K1 visa and get married there. I really want to pay the fine and do whatever possible to forget about that shame story! Is there an arrest warrant for me in US? Will I be arrested if enter the country? Does it automaticaly means that I willl not ever be able to get K1 visa? Thank you.

In all likelihood, there may be an outstanding bond forfeiture warrant for your arrest for failure to appear in that respective court on the charges.
You may find a local criminal defense attorney who may look in the court's records to see is whether there is a warrant.
Now, the bad news, you will be arrested on a warrant if there is one upon entering the U.S. at any point as such things do not ever expire.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

Shoplifting topics