Will I be arrested?

Asked over 2 years ago - Worcester, MA

I have missed a court date for a credit card settlement and have received a warrant for that. I have to be in court today at 8:30am for a different reason (driving with a suspended license) and my question is, will I be arrested for the outstanding warrant?
What happens if I don't show up today and call the sheriff later on to reschedule it?

1. Keith G Langer

2

Answered . That you wait until 5 hours before your scheduled appearance to even inquire about it and think you can "call the sheriff later on" certainly explains why you have an outstanding warrant. Even a minimal amount of thought would have made it clear such a call should be made BEFORE your court date.

You state the warrant was issued for your "credit card settlement." That sounds as if it is a capias warrant for failing to pay the debt and then failing to appear at the payment review hearing. As such, it is a civil warrant.

While possible, it is unlikely you would be arrested on the capias warrant while appearing at a criminal hearing. You might discuss it with your attorney for the suspended license matter.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Robert C. LeBrasseur

1

Answered . You can be arrested at any time on a valid warrant