Will I be able to qualify for an EB-2 Green Card application?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Here are my details:

Graduated from a top university with BSc in computer science
Worked for about 2 years in the industry
Recently moved to a company that does defense related work with the Department of Defense and DARPA. I do a lot of highly specialized work (based on my research experiences during my undergrad and industry experiences) in a research/industrial setting for the US government through contracts to my company.

Will I be able to claim "national interest" or "advanced degree" as I was hired due to my specialized skills, traditionally achieved with a masters or higher?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No, not on the facts you offer here.

    Advanced degree means Master's or higher, which you don't yet have.

    "NIW" is much, much more than what you do and your work has to benefit the NATION AS A WHOLE. I don't think you are there yet..

    Don't take my word for it consult with an immigration lawyer in private.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . BS + 2 years does not equal a MS.

    Further, National Interest Waivers are VERY difficult.

    I agree with Mr. Behar ... meet with an immigration lawyer and/or consider getting a 'real' Master's Degree.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,428 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,428 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering