Will I be able to overturn a citation for improper lane usage on a highway when it was really just a car accident?

Asked 10 months ago - Danville, IL

It was nighttime, and I was driving on the interstate in the passing lane. Seat-belt was on, driving at designated speed limit, I alone was in the vehicle, and no one was close to me. Saw a dark shady object for a split-second on the side of the road; I could not identify it at all. Instinct told me not to hit it so I swerved right to miss it, started swerving uncontrollably, and ended up in the ditch on the right side of the road; the car ended up flipped on its right side (passenger side). I did not hit anyone or anything or any other vehicle or any farmer fences/government fences. It was all an accident. No one else was involved. Just myself.

Even after all that, and after being helped out of the vehicle to calm down from my state of sheer panic, the authorities still issued me a citation for improper lane usage. My court date is set for next week, so I would appreciate an answer ASAP.

1. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

12

Answered . Probably. Hire a traffic attorney.

2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

11

Answered . You don't overturn a citation.

You haven't plead guilty or been convicted yet, so relax and retain a traffic attorney before doing anything else.

You probably also should report this to your auto insurer.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

3. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

10

Answered . Good that nobody was injured.

Contact a traffic attorney for assistance.

4. Shaun Michael Lieser

Pro

9

Answered . With the facts provided, it is likely you could be found not guilty of an improper lane change. I would retain a traffic attorney to defend the citation on your behalf. The fact it was a one car accident without injury or property damage will likely assist your efforts (or your defense attorney's efforts). Good luck!

5. Stephen Ross Cohen

8

Answered . I agree with both counsel.

6. Stephen Ross Cohen

7

Answered . I agree with both counsel.

Pro

5

Answered . Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight it