Will I be able to join the armed forces through the Dream Act?

Filed under: Green cards

I have been living in America all my life ever since i was 18 months old. The recent Dream Act by President Obama has given me a two year permit. Will i be able to join with this permit? i have my work permit and social security card that is valid for only 2 years.

1. There is no dream act. DACA is not an act. It is unlikely that you can join the armed forces with DACA.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. Will not when the Dream Act becomes a reality. Until it does, your guess is good as hours.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

3. To my knowledge you must minimally possess your green card to enlist in the military. There a handful of programs available to people who have entered the US legally on temporary visas - but they are generally very specialized such as MAVNI (which requires that the person enlisting speak certain highly desirable languages fluently). Even those programs generally require a valid i-94 and i-797. I do not think DACA meets these criteria - but you could always speak with a recruiter for the branch of the military you are interested in to find out.

4. Speak with a recruiter. At a minimum, you will need social security card.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com