Will i be able to get my pharmacy tech license because my misdemeanor is now expunged?

Asked about 4 years ago - San Francisco, CA

my application for pharmacy tech was denied last year and it says i can reapply after a year. its been a year and i had my misdemeanor expunged last month. what are the chances that i'll be able to get my pharmacy tech now? will my application follow through now that the misdemeanor is expunged? will my application get deny again?

first offense misdemeanor grand theft by embezzlement.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

2

Best Answer

Answered . As you may recall from your first license application, the application requires that you disclose all convictions, including those that have dismissed after conviction and those that have been expunged. Further, the application requires a full statement of all of the facts and circumstances underlying each conviction. So the licensing agency will again be considering your application in light of the conviction.

Without knowing the charges on which you were convicted, I cannot determine whether the licensing agency will approve your application and issue your license. If your conviction involved any degree of use or possession of drugs, it is unlikely unless you can make a strong case for rehabilitation -- and even then the Board can be expected to offer only a conditional license (and the conditions are quite burdensome and difficult in terms of securing employment).

Your best strategy is to consult with skilled and experienced licensing counsel NOW -- while it is still possible to build into your life/application a strong showing of rehabilitation that comports with the statutory rehab factors that the Board must consider. Counsel can assist you with the critical statement of responsibility that must be included with your application. All in all, you want to maximize the facts in your favor before making your next application; you want to submit the best-crafted application possible; and then you want to mount a challenge to the denial or offer of a limited license. For all of these, licensing counsel is essential.

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . These questions are better addressed to the licensing board. There is no expungement in CA. What you got was a dismissal of a conviction. Both the dismissal and the conviction will show on your criminal record. AS for what you should submit to the licensing board that question is best addressed to them.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

4. James Murray Warden

Pro

Answered . I agree with Ms. McCall's analysis. You need to get an attorney NOW so you can set yourself up for and take steps to have the best shot at getting your license. No doubt you spent a lot of time and money getting your pharmacy tech license. You need to spend the money to get someone to help you. I do not know how much a year a pharmacy technician makes but multiply that figure by the number of years you expect to work and that is the value of the job. You need an attorney to help you. Get a private consultation and get an attorney. Beg, borrow, but do not steal, money to hire someone to help you. I have represented nurses before you need help quickly.