Will I be able to get my license back?

Asked 9 months ago - Commerce City, CO

I have my lisense revoked for an underage DUI in CO. I got pulled over yesterday and got a ticket for it. I'm eligible to get my lisense back in November and don't have court till December, will I still be able to get my lisense?

1. Charles Patrick Greenwood

9

Answered . If you are convicted of any moving violation for the new offense, your license will be suspended for an additional period, even if you reinstate it in November. The DA may allow you time to get your license back and offer you a plea to a non moving violation, if you are eligible to do so by your first court date. If your prior DUI was what's called a 'baby DUI' it does not count as a prior alcohol offense, but if it was not, you are looking at a 30 day mandatory jail sentence on the new ticket because of the prior alcohol conviction. Contact an experienced defense attorney using this site. Most attorneys, my firm included, offer free one hour consultations. Good luck.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

7

Answered . Mr. Greenwood is correct. I would apply and get your license back in November and show up with the driver's license and all of the effort that you went through to get the license and ask for a 0 pt charge or a total dismissal. Most DAs will be reasonable and want you to get a driver's license. This is especially true in an area like Denver where we do not have a great transit system like Chicago or New York.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . Both of my colleagues are correct. Get your license when you can, which may lead the prosecutor to give you a bit of a break.

4. Rhidian David Watson Orr

6

Answered . As Mr. Greenwood and Mr. Leroi pointed out, the key is to get your license back and get a "0" point ticket. Any ticket that gets reported to the DMV will cause your license to be revoked for at least one additional year.

Also, as my colleagues have mentioned, the current charges you face carry potential jail time. Go to court with your license in hand in December and see if you can obtain a 0 pt plea. if you cannot, you need to ask for a continuance and hire legal representation.

5. Kip O'Connor II

Answered . A conviction for driving under revocation is a traffic misdemeanor that will not only cause you to lose your license for an additional period of time, it may also land you in jail. I recommend that you reinstate your driving privileges as soon as you are eligible and bring your reinstated license to court to show the DA. The key to keeping your license is to have the DA reduce the charge to a non-moving violation, such as a class B traffic infraction. A conviction for any moving violation that occurred while your driver's license was revoked will trigger an additional period of revocation from the DMV.