Will I-601 waivers be allowed to be submitted within the US at the end of 2012?

Asked about 2 years ago - Salem, OR

I had heard that at the end of the year the I-601 waivers will be allowed to be submitted within the United States, therefore avoiding leaving the country for the beneficiary's interview. Is this true?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Yes, there is a 'plan' for December 2012 ... but, things can change.

2. David N Shomloo

3

Answered . It could happen, but we all have to wait and see.

3. Elliot M.S. Yi

1

Answered . That was the plan, but as my colleagues point out, things can change.

4. Philip Alan Eichorn

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Capriotti. There appears to be movement of the USCIS personnel to one of the Service Centers in anticipation of centralized adjudication but there has not been any official announcements as of yet.

5. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Only if USCIS publishes the implementing regulations by then.

6. Veronica Tunitsky

1

Answered . Keep in mind that when/if the Provisional Waiver regulations go into effect, the applicant will still have to leave the US if he or she wants to obtain her immigrant visa. The big perk of the program is that you will have a decision (approval or denial) in hand before you leave. But leaving will be necessary to complete the process (to apply and receive the immigrant visa).

This is definitely a complex area of immigration law and you should consult with someone familiar with the waivers before you make your final decision.