Will I-601 waivers be allowed to be submitted within the US at the end of 2012?

Salem, OR |

I had heard that at the end of the year the I-601 waivers will be allowed to be submitted within the United States, therefore avoiding leaving the country for the beneficiary's interview. Is this true?

1. Yes, there is a 'plan' for December 2012 ... but, things can change.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

2. I agree with Attorney Capriotti. There appears to be movement of the USCIS personnel to one of the Service Centers in anticipation of centralized adjudication but there has not been any official announcements as of yet.

3. It could happen, but we all have to wait and see.

The Law Office of David N. Shomloo, LLC. David N. Shomloo, Esq. Immigration/Criminal practice 222 N W Davis st. no. 402 Portland, Oregon 97209 www.davidshomloo.com 503-220-5045 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

4. Only if USCIS publishes the implementing regulations by then.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

5. That was the plan, but as my colleagues point out, things can change.

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@emsylaw.com; 503-227-0965. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.

6. Keep in mind that when/if the Provisional Waiver regulations go into effect, the applicant will still have to leave the US if he or she wants to obtain her immigrant visa. The big perk of the program is that you will have a decision (approval or denial) in hand before you leave. But leaving will be necessary to complete the process (to apply and receive the immigrant visa).

This is definitely a complex area of immigration law and you should consult with someone familiar with the waivers before you make your final decision.