Will I, a college student, go to jail for a third DUI in New Jersey?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lebanon, NJ

I got a DUI when I was 17 and my BAC was .03%. When I was 19, I got a DUI with a .10% BAC. I only lost my license for 9 months, and I received no jail time or even community service. I recently received another for driving under the influence of my prescription Xanax.

It seems that they treated my second one as a first since I did not lose my license for the mandatory two years, and I was not required to do community service. I am currently attending college. What are the chances that I will go to jail for this most recent offense? My lawyer seems to think that since I did not lose my license for two years the second time, the latest one will not be treated as the third and will not get jail time.

1. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

9

Answered . It is always best to listen to your attorney, and for that reason you should not be asking other people that are not as familiar with your case. It was my understanding that a 2nd offense came with 2 days mandatory in jail, which certainly beats the 90 days mandatory required for a 3rd. If you have received a third in the matter of 3 or 4 years, you may need to start making some changes.

2. Scott C. Buerkle

Pro

7

Answered . It is difficult to provide a prediction when there are many other facts to consider, such as the particular court you are before, your driving history and other criminal record, and your lawyer's effectiveness at isolating these incidents instead of them being viewed as a pattern of behavior. Your attorney is in the best position to answer for you so listen to his advice.

3. Mark M Cheser

6

Answered . The first offense may not have been an enhancing DWI. I believe 4:50.14 "kiddie DWI" will not enhance. If I am wrong one of my colleagues will surely correct me. If so this would be your second and jail time can be avoided or "exchanged" for rehab. Your lawyer is likely on top of this.

4. Eric M. Mark

Pro

5

Answered . It sounds like your first was an underage DWI followed by a regular DWI so the court treated the second as a first. THis may or may not be accurate. If the second court made a mistake, the third court my not be bound to follow that mistake. Your lawyer should have the best understanding and that is who you need to talk to.

5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

5

Answered . You need to listen to your lawyer.

The question of which prior offenses are counted varies from state to state. In Wisconsin your first would not be counted as a prior offense if committed in Wisconsin but might be counted in Wisconsin if committed elsewhere.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
    http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
    http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.