Will high school and college ID's be enough for the biometrics?

Asked over 2 years ago - Loch Sheldrake, NY

I am in the State of New York. My family and I came here about 17 years ago (I was 4 and my older brother 5). I do not have a state issued ID, as they are requiring for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals biometrics. All my brother and I have are multiple high school ID's and a college ID. Our passports are in the government's custody because my parents have had a case in the immigration courts. Our lawyer says there's no way our physical passports can be released. We do, however, have copies of our passports. We just applied for our national ID's from our native countries. They will take about 1 and a half to 2 months. Our biometrics date is Oct. 23rd ( in 16 days).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Go to have your biometrics taken with what you have, explain the situation. In the worst case scenario, you will need to reschedule for the time when your National ID's be ready.

    This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer... more
  2. Yolanda Navarrete

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree that if you do not have access to your passport, take the documentation you have.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to... more
  3. Jeffrey N Lisnow

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You have what you have. If not sure what to do consult with an attorney BEFORE you go down there.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer(s) given are only to be deemed general in nature as all of the facts of your case... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering