Skip to main content

Will having been married to an American help me to obtain a greencard? I want to immigrate to the States.

New York, NY |
Filed under: Immigration

I met my ex-husband in 2002 in London, U.K. We married in June 2003. He is in the military and was stationed in the U.K at the time we met. During our marriage we lived at various destinations including the U.K. and the States. We separated in June 2006. Our divorce was finalized in December 2008. Whilst we were married I did not think to apply for a Greencard. Now I want to immigrate to the States I realise it's extremely difficult. Will the fact that I was legitimately married to an American even though I am now divorced help in any way? Are there specialist immigration lawyers that can help because I was married to an american? I currently live in the U.K.

Attorney Answers 3


You need a relative or employer to petition you to immigrate to the U.S., we do not have a points system, and former marriage to a US citizen does not qualify you to immigrate.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree



(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

15 lawyers agree


Sorry .. you need to be currently married to a US Citizen.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics