Will having been married to an American help me to obtain a greencard? I want to immigrate to the States.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I met my ex-husband in 2002 in London, U.K. We married in June 2003. He is in the military and was stationed in the U.K at the time we met. During our marriage we lived at various destinations including the U.K. and the States. We separated in June 2006. Our divorce was finalized in December 2008. Whilst we were married I did not think to apply for a Greencard. Now I want to immigrate to the States I realise it's extremely difficult. Will the fact that I was legitimately married to an American even though I am now divorced help in any way? Are there specialist immigration lawyers that can help because I was married to an american? I currently live in the U.K.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . No

2. Stephen D. Berman

3

Answered . You need a relative or employer to petition you to immigrate to the U.S., we do not have a points system, and former marriage to a US citizen does not qualify you to immigrate.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Sorry .. you need to be currently married to a US Citizen.