Will getting married affect my medicaid ?

Federal Way, WA |

will getting married affect my medicaid and how if any?

1. You should review the information about Medicaid provided by the Social Security Administration at www.ssa.gov .

If you mean Medicaid (as opposed to Medicare), Medicaid is a needs-based program. Persons with financial resources above some amounts do not qualify for the program. The financial resources of both spouses are considered. If your husband has too much financial resources, you may be disqualified.

Medicare is health insurance paid by workers. Financial resources of the workers are not considered in determining whether the workers qualify for Medicare.

You can review your facts at the www.ssa.gov website. There are calculators that help a person determine whether the person likely would qualify for a particular benefit. You can also call SSA or go directly to the local offices to ask your questions.

2. Congratulations on your pending marriage.

Because Medicaid is a needs-based program, getting married may change your eligibility. Because you asked this question as a Social Security issue, it is likely that you are also receiving SSI (Supplemental Security Income). As this is also a needs-based program, your eligibility for those benefits may also be affected by marriage.

You may be able to get more specific answers to your questions on the SSA website, under the Disability Benefits tab, go to Questions, SSI. There you can get answers to questions about eligibility, income and resources, and living arrangements.

Susan J. Holm,
    Leonard W. Moen & Associates
    947 Powell Ave, Suite 105
    Renton, WA 98057
    425-227-4260