Will getting a divorce keep my husband safe from my medical bills?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I have a life-threatening disease and will be facing huge medical bills in the coming years. If we put all of our assets in my husband's name and then get a divorce, will that protect him? Do we need to live apart?

1. Shawn Michael Yesner

7

Answered . I've been asked this question multiple times and I've never been a fan of this strategy. Getting a divorce for asset protection purposes is rarely a good idea.

You should consult with an asset protection attorney, estate planning attorney, consumer attorney or bankruptcy attorney in your area to properly and legally plan the best way to protect your husband from liability. You may be able to create certain accounts or trust agreements to protect your husband.

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with the general consensus of the other attorneys here. We are sworn officers of the court and cannot advise you how to break the law. What you are contemplating/stating is fraudulent and might be criminal. With that said, I am not judging you. I have no idea what I would do in your situation. I'm sorry that you're faced with such decisions.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787

3. Matthew Scott Berkus

6

Answered . Simply putting all assets in his name may create fraudulent transfer issues regardless of a divorce.

However, if the medical debt has yet to be incurred, and you divorce, he will not be personally liable for the medical bills. However, if you continue to live together and otherwise act as a married couple, a creative creditor might be able to make the case that pseudo husband should be liable.

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

4

Answered . It may under some circumstances.