Will garnishment apply to my severance pay?

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Bankruptcy

Hi,
I've recently been laid off and my employer offered me a settlement package. When I worked there, I had a garnishment being taken out of my regular payroll... will this also apply to my severance pay?

1. The short answer is yes You will need to consult with a lawyer locally to determine the percentage.

Start keeping a detailed log of all calls and letters. You should also demand in writing all communications from creditors is in writing.

Do not give them any personal information because that is how collectors decide on which accounts to recommend suing.
    If you are going to make payments use money orders and not personal checks or “check by phone” because if they find a bank account the collector will be more likely recommend a lawsuit the their legal department. Get written confirmation of any payment plan the agency will accept.

I do not practice in your state and you will need to consult with a local lawyer for protection under your state law.

I have pasted a link to the FDPCA to help you with your federal rights;

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

Good Luck