Will filing chapter 7 affect my chances to be hired as a paralegal?

Wappingers Falls, NY |

I am currently enrolled in a paralegal certificate program and may file chapter 7 now. Will law firms look at this negatively and not hire me as a paralegal?

1. On the contrary, it may make you a more compassionate employee since you have been through this stressful process.

Hope this perspective helps!

2. It depends greatly on how the firm you apply to sees such experience and how you deal with it. You should be honest and forthright and show how having this experience can bring positive value to a firm / client that hires you.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. It depends on the law firm. Some employers may conduct a background check and credit report on all applicants - but many will not. Always answer questions from a potential employer honestly and completely. If the subject doesn't arise - it will not matter. If the subject does arise, and you answer truthfully and completely, it may not matter to that employer.

I hope this helps!
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy
    www.chicagotaxteam.com

Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should contact a local attorney to discuss and to obtain legal advice.

4. As a bankruptcy attorney, I would actually consider an employee with experience from the client's end in the bankruptcy process to be a marketable asset, so, if I were hiring, I would jump at the chance to hire someone who has lived through the pain of Chapter 7. As has been stated previously, you MUST be up front and honest about the fact that you filed and the circumstances that forced you into bankruptcy with any potential employer. Law firms, especially law firms in New York, can often deal with a lot of employee baggage as long as their employees are honest with them.

Good luck!

THIS POST CONTAINS GENERAL INFORMATION AND IS INTENDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. IT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. FOR LEGAL ADVICE ON YOUR PARTICULAR MATTER, CONSULT YOUR ATTORNEY.