Skip to main content

Will filing bankrupcy protect me from arrest & conviction for abandonment of my apartment. How strictly is this enforced in Il.?

Chicago, IL |

I just could not afford to pay. I did however sign a lease until April 2013/

Attorney Answers 2


You can't be arrested just for leaving an apartment. The landlord could sue you in civil court for unpaid rent from whenever you stopped paying until the time he found a replacement tenant for the unit. Ask a bankruptcy attorney to be certain, but that type of debt should be dischargeable.

The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It is intended to be solely the educated opinion of the author and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Some responses may be advertising material. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the inquiring person and additional or differing facts might change the response. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the state of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the inquiring party should consult a local attorney for specific answers and advice. Answering this question does create a duty to keep information confidential, nor does it prevent me from representing an adverse party. Advertising Materials.

Mark as helpful


Even if you abandoned the property, if the apartment is in Chicago, you might have a legal basis to terminate the lease. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to attempt to minimize the amount that you might be liable for. Also, even if you abandoned the apartment, the landlord has a legal obligation to limit his damages by attempting to re-rent the apartment to someone else. You should try to find out if the landlord rented or tried to rent the apartment to someone else.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney to discuss the particulars of your case.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics