Will filing bankrupcy protect me from arrest & conviction for abandonment of my apartment. How strictly is this enforced in Il.?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I just could not afford to pay. I did however sign a lease until April 2013/

1. Tara Leigh Goodwin

Answered . You can't be arrested just for leaving an apartment. The landlord could sue you in civil court for unpaid rent from whenever you stopped paying until the time he found a replacement tenant for the unit. Ask a bankruptcy attorney to be certain, but that type of debt should be dischargeable.

2. Joan Marie Fenstermaker

Answered . Even if you abandoned the property, if the apartment is in Chicago, you might have a legal basis to terminate the lease. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to attempt to minimize the amount that you might be liable for. Also, even if you abandoned the apartment, the landlord has a legal obligation to limit his damages by attempting to re-rent the apartment to someone else. You should try to find out if the landlord rented or tried to rent the apartment to someone else.