Will expungement show up on criminal background check?

Asked 7 months ago - Conyers, GA

I was charged with poss. of marijuana less than an ounce a misdemeanor. The charge was dropped because of a pre-trial diversion but the arrest was still on my record. I recently applied for expungement and was granted it for the arrest and the charge. Will the expungement, charge, and arrest still show up on the background check from Sterling?

1. Daniel Ray Partain

2

Answered . If you were granted an expungement, then the arrest should be removed from your record. If your request for record restriction was granted, then employers should not see your arrest.

2. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

Answered . It should not show up if you expunged it.

3. Troy Windel Marsh Jr.

Answered . It depends. If the GCIC has processed the expungement, the version of your rap sheet available to potential employers should not show any of the information about your case. However, the information remains available in the local Clerk's file for any private background check company to see. That was one of the problems remedied by the new record restriction law that took effect on July 1.