Will either my girlfriend, or I loose our benefits if we get married from SSI and SSD?

Leesburg, FL |

My girlfriend makes roughly 284$ in SSD and 400$ in SSI, I get 634$in SSD and 27$ in SSI we have been together a long time and want to get married, she has stage 3 cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy and getting other medical things from Medicaid and Medicare. If we got married will one of us loose our benefits? I have been on SSD for about 20years she has been on disability for about 14 years. If it helps any we live in Florida. Thanks for your time and reply.

Yes. The maximum benefit rate for 2012when SSI is involved is $1048 for a couple. That will go up slightly in 2013. Your combined SSD rates are $1034, so you will likely both lose some or all of your SSI eligibility. And, their are other risks - there may be an impact on aany medical assistance you get through the Florida Department of Children and Families.

It is an unfortunate result, I know, but couples are often better off financially running two households and not getting married.

You might want to a Florida legal aid attorney for some advice about all the risks and benefits of getting marriage - you are smart to think of this before you actually get married!!

I wish you the best of luck in the future - whatever you choose to do!

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Mr. Ferrell is right. So, you have to make a choice. You can also earn money without losing the benefits.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Social security topics