Will early divorce affect my chances of citizenship

Bronxville, NY |

I married a deadbeat. I am about to remove conditions on my 2 year green card. My husband hid the fact that he was in $30,000 credit card debt acquired before marriage, based on that we cannot have anything cards together. When I found out I took over all the bills in the home so he could pay his bills, while taking care of my two kids before marriage. He has cheated on me have proof (STD). He has now stop paying his credit card bills still not contributing to the home and I think he is cheating again. IF I GET DIVORCE SAY 9MTHs after removing condition how will this affect me when I apply for citizenship. Don't know if I can do this for much longer. I have constant head ache. what can I do to prove to immigration that i was not at fault for the break down of the marriage.

1. I appreciate your sad situation and would say that as long as you have entered into a bona fide (genuine and authentic marriage initially) and due to the drastic circumstances as you cited such as registered infidelities and sexually communicable diseases’, which in my humble opinion, is more than enough to seek a divorce based on irreconcilable differences, you should be absolutely fine and the whole ordeal will not affect your eventual naturalization, however you will need to incur four years and nine months before you may qualify for naturalization.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

2. As long as you can show that you entered into marriage in good faith, you are fine. You are not expected to stay in the marriage if it is not working out and is just causing misery.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

3. I am sorry for your situation. If you present poof that you entered into the marriage in good faith you should be okay

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

4. As an aside, if you need a divorce attorney, then I highly suggest you consult this website for a referral to a Westchester Co. Divorce lawyer.

5. No. Once the conditions are removed or even before in some cases you don't have to stay for purposes of immigration but marital counseling is an option for family purposes.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
    “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com