Will dropped domestic violence charges show up on gun purchase or pistol permit background check.

Asked over 1 year ago - Clinton, CT

I'm turning 21 and i am interested in purchasing either a pistol or rifle in CT. When i was 17 i was arrested on domestic violence charges and had a protective order during the trial period. Everything was nullified and then dropped (after something like 9 months) Will this affect my ability to purchase a firearm?

1. Brian S Karpe

Answered . It is hard to tell in the current gun control frenzy in this state. Immediately upon passing the newest gun control bill, a purchaser of rifles or shotguns must pass a national criminal background check. While your charges were nolled, there still is a record of the charges. This new law may prevent you from purchasing based on the background check alone, but that remains to be seen.

Being domestic offense charges, even though nolled, the charges will probably prevent you from obtaining a pistol permit. The state police have a wide discretion when it comes to approving a permit application. In CT, a pistol permit is a privilege, not a right. Therefore it can be denied for the smallest of reasons. You do have the right to appeal the decision, but that is extremely rarely successful.