Will creating a trust or corporation or redacting my public records help remove me from people search sites?

Dublin, GA |

Last year, I opted out of more than 30 public search sites; however, Radaris and a few others refuse to remove my info. Last year, I used Radaris' "removal tool," After I used it to remove my info, it would suddenly reappear / appear under another person's name (of whom I am not related). I contacted the BBB a year ago, but the company did not respond to the complaint I made with BBB (so the case was closed). I have read that creating a trust or corporation or redacting my public records will help remove me. I relocated to GA two months ago. Is this true? Is this possible (redacting public records) in GA? Or should I just not waste any more time/effort in trying to remove my info?

What you've read is ridiculous. There is no way to form a corporation or trust to eliminate online records, nor can you redact public records.

A sad reality of the internet, which is beneficial if you want information, and bad if you want privacy is that you can find almost everythig about everybody, very easily. There is no erase button. And since there are many tens of thousands of search sites, even removing yourself from 30 matters little. If you have the time, you certainly can get a few of the mosot reputable sites to limit what they show about you (you can even get google to not index entire web pages) but you'll never get everything back in private.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

I often say as cocktail chatter that there is no gravity on the Internet, what goes up does not come down.

That having been said, I have worked for dozens of clients to get information removed or search engine de-listed. I would say the success rate for these kinds of actions among Internet attorneys is around 70% and that the cost is from $1,000 to $1,500. It all depends on the circumstances.

You may want to discuss with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation
Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

I would only add that generally this becomes a more expensive prospect than anticipated by most.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and practical evaluation, nor does this recommendation create a retention of counsel agreement between us, wherein an attorney-client relationship or privilege exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for public educational purposes and public discourse on general legal topics. I presume the specific fact scenarios are only supposition and am thus commenting for the public's benefit and understanding of law. I am not soliciting you to hire me or my law firm, though in certain jurisdictions I may be able to refer you to an attorney that can help you or may consult with you for free.

Internet law topics

Recommended articles about Internet law