Will Colorado extradite me from Texas with supervised misdemeanor probation?

Asked over 2 years ago - Grand Junction, CO

i am on probation in colorado in 2 different countys. i have a job transfer to texas but i want to know if i just go and not handle my probation will they bring me back to colorado from texas. I am on probation for a misdemeanor dui/dwai charge

1. Rhidian David Watson Orr

5

Answered . It is highly unlikely that you would be extradited back to CO for this issue, but you need to understand that this will cause you to not be able to obtain a driver's license in TX or renew your license in TX when the time comes and you will forever have this issue to deal with as it will not go away.

Why don't you just ask to have your probation transferred to TX or go in front of the Judges in each county that you are on probation and explain your circumstances and ask to be moved to unsupervised probation? Leaving without permission and not complying with probation is the dumbest alternative and will cause the most problems. Being proactive and addressing this on the front end will result in a much better outcome for you.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

5

Answered . I would not suggest doing that. Depending on the judge and the misdemeanor, it is quite possible that the judge might issue a warrant and have it apply to TX. When I was a judge in Cortez, we had three options - Four Corner (UT, NM, CO, and AZ), west of the Mississippi River (which includes TX), and national. You have some hard-ass judges in Mesa County from my experience (some of whom I know personally), so I would not put it past them.

3. Robert Jonathan Lee

5

Answered . Like those before me have asserted, you need to address the issue of probation prior to leaving the State. You will likely be able to get a P.O. in TX for the DUI/DWI charges.

In the instance you chose not to you risk potentially being extradited (while this will not likely happen - you run a risk - I do not know and cannot speak to the colorado or texas judiciary) and/or you may lose your job if and when they find out.