Skip to main content

Will Colorado extradite me from Texas with supervised misdemeanor probation?

Grand Junction, CO |

i am on probation in colorado in 2 different countys. i have a job transfer to texas but i want to know if i just go and not handle my probation will they bring me back to colorado from texas. I am on probation for a misdemeanor dui/dwai charge

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is highly unlikely that you would be extradited back to CO for this issue, but you need to understand that this will cause you to not be able to obtain a driver's license in TX or renew your license in TX when the time comes and you will forever have this issue to deal with as it will not go away.

Why don't you just ask to have your probation transferred to TX or go in front of the Judges in each county that you are on probation and explain your circumstances and ask to be moved to unsupervised probation? Leaving without permission and not complying with probation is the dumbest alternative and will cause the most problems. Being proactive and addressing this on the front end will result in a much better outcome for you.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.


I would not suggest doing that. Depending on the judge and the misdemeanor, it is quite possible that the judge might issue a warrant and have it apply to TX. When I was a judge in Cortez, we had three options - Four Corner (UT, NM, CO, and AZ), west of the Mississippi River (which includes TX), and national. You have some hard-ass judges in Mesa County from my experience (some of whom I know personally), so I would not put it past them.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


Like those before me have asserted, you need to address the issue of probation prior to leaving the State. You will likely be able to get a P.O. in TX for the DUI/DWI charges.

In the instance you chose not to you risk potentially being extradited (while this will not likely happen - you run a risk - I do not know and cannot speak to the colorado or texas judiciary) and/or you may lose your job if and when they find out.

Please be advised that nothing in this posting is meant to supplement the advice of an attorney and The Law Office of Robert J. Lee, P.A. and/or Robert J. Lee has not undertaken any professional responsibility with regard to your case unless otherwise agreed. Robert J. Lee is not licensed in TX and this information is not to be construed as legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer