Will Bankruptcy stay post foreclosure eviction?

My home has been foreclosed upon. There was a judgment entered and now we have an eviction notice from the court. My question is if we file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy now, would it give us more time to move? would automatic stay prevent the sheriff from kicking us out of our home?

Clark, NJ -

Dorothy G Bunce

Dorothy G Bunce

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

The bankruptcy filing can provide you with a brief delay of an eviction, but remember, you do not get to continue to run up debts after filling, so your landlord 9the new property owner) would be entitled to collect rent from you for the additional time you are allowed to stay in the property.

Hope this perspective helps!

Matthew R Schutz

Matthew R Schutz

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Flemington, NJ

I agree with counsel. You will get a stay, but you need to keep current with the rent.

John Paul Thygerson

John Paul Thygerson

Criminal Defense Attorney - Norwalk, CT

A bankrptcy filing results in a temporary stay of any state proceedings. At best, it will buy you some time to get your economic affairs in order.

John P Fazzio III

John P Fazzio III

Foreclosure Attorney - Mahwah, NJ

Filing bankruptcy will buy you some time by staying the eviction proceeding. But, delay for the sake of delay is not a strategy.

Related Advice