Skip to main content

Will applying for a ATIN number work?

Flushing, NY |

My husband and I have been married for 15 year, I am a US citizen he is not. He is a non resident Alien. He never did his papers. Now this year filing for taxes our personal tax extension were rejected because they say his SS card does not match the tax papers. Now the SS number he has is a card number he is not allowed to work on (most likely) he has also lost his card a long time ago. The SS office can not give him a replacement card because they require Citizen ship or status in order to do so. He is no looking into getting a ATIN number in order to be able to file taxes and extensions. With this number is he eligble to receive any tax credits? Is it better for me to file as separate? or should he file a 1040NR, for non resident Alien?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Please consult your accountant.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

  2. This should be posted in the tax forum

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  3. Repost in the tax section, not an immigration question.

  4. Not an immigration question.

    An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics