Will any money I have in an IRA effect my application for SSDI? Should any such money first go toward any outstanding debt I ma

Roanoke, VA |

By debt I'm referring to:
- spousal support payments
- IRS tax debt
- court ordered credit card payments

Only SSI (welfare disability) is affected by assets. Social Security Disability is not affected by assets even Warren Buffett can file for Social Security Disavility.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.

Thanks immensly for your response. And, I expected to pay something for the answer...Even an answer from a tradesperson on "How" cost money; Why not here? Anyway, no response necessary. Thanks!

No, it should not affect it. You can call or visit social security office for a specific answer to your case.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security