Will an underage citation hurt my visa renew application?

Erie, PA |

I'm a foreign student under an F-1 visa. Couple months ago I was caught and charged with underage drinking. I pleaded guilty and appeared before the judge. He gave me a chance to participate in ARD program (Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition) in which I have to complete 35 hours of community services, attend an alcohol class, and pay a fee to the court. I have completed all of the requirements and was given the disposition to have my record expunged. However, I didnt have time to take it to the court to do so because I have already made plan to travel back to my country, VIetnam. Now that I'm back in Vietnam and my visa is expired, I have to reapply. I'm just wondering if this situation would hurt my application? I have the disposition with me for proof as well.

It might. If you want to engage in law violating activities, you better stay in your country. There, they cannot deport you when someone makes a determination that you are no longer legal.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

I have aware of the gratitude of the problem. As a college student I have given into peer pressure just like everyone else that I know. Also I have taken all the neccesarry steps to make up for it by completeing the program. Plus I also maintain good grades (even though its quite hard even for a sober engineering student to maintain good grades). I have also spent 4 years as a student in the states without any trouble until now. As a matter of fact this is the first time I have ever gotten in trouble. Do you think the Visa officer will take into consideration? I dont want this silly mistake to ruin my whole career.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I hope he will but I think their standards and risk assessment concentrates more on the ties you might have to your country rather than you academic achievement.

Evidence of unlawful behavior can adversely impact an applicatoin

Recommended articles about Immigration