Will an open container look bad on my record? Will it be tough finding a good job?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I am 17 living in Texas but this hasnt been my first encounter w/ the law but nothing serious just fighting and minor pass curfew that I know of

1. Answered . Generally, no. Most employers don't care too much about a Class C open container...especially if it happened a long time ago.

But remember that Texas is an employment at will state, so a prospective employer can refuse to hire you for any reason at all (that isn't constitutionally protected, i.e., gender, sex, etc.).

2. Answered . It's up to an individual employer to decide how they feel about it. Most employers won't care much about one class C. But a series of even minor offenses may be viewed differently. I would see it as flippant disregard for authority. It would concern me as an employer that you think fighting and drinking as a teenager is not a big deal. Now that you're looking for employment, hopefully your priorities will start to change.

3. Answered . The decision to hire someone is completely up to the employer. However, as a rule of thumb, a cleaner record will always better your chances versus equally qualified candidates competing for the same position. Be careful to avoid "straight-paying" any Class C Misdemeanors. If you do, they will result in a permanent conviction on your record. There are ways to keep a Class C Misdemeanor off your record, even if you choose to plea no contest or guilty to the allegations You should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney prior to making the decision to plea, pay or fight the case at trial. Our office handles many cases similar in nature to these.