Will an old arrest show up in a state background check for RN licensing

New Providence, NJ |

I had minor legal domestic issues in CO related to a divorce more than 9 years ago. It has not been a problem for me obtaining my RN license or with background checks for employment in NJ. I even had a state and federal background check done when I applied to a State hospital and the incident did not come up. Now I am applying for my RN license in CO and I am wondering if I should expect this to come up since it happened in CO?

You're going to be asked about it on the application. If you lie, and it's later discovered you lose your RN license. They could fail to find it now, but computers somewhere could be upgraded in the future, or there's a more thorough background review at some point, or there's an investigation in connection with a medical malpractice suit where you work.... don't risk this. And don't risk having to live with knowing that it's "out there."

Especially if it's minor - disclose it. Hiding something / lying about it is generally considered much worse than the offense (for most offenses).

There was an attorney in NJ who failed to disclose a ten year old DUI. When they found out about it, he was disbarred for lying ... even though they probably wouldn't have made a bid deal out of it had he disclosed it initially.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

This is what I was thinking. You guys are great. Really. I appreciate this so much! Wish I could give you medical advice back. Can't thank you enough!

You need to ask a Co attorney. In NJ some DVs will not show on a CCH. I do not know about CO.

This record may show up but if you have had no trouble in other states, more than likely even if it does appear in another background check, it should be fairly easily explained away. Best wishes.

Kevin C. Murphy

Kevin C. Murphy

I totally disagree and have a large caseload of license discipline defense cases based on D.V. criminal convictions similar to the one mentioned. The PC will likely have to fight to secure an unrestricted/restricted license.

You absolutely need to contact a qualified license defense attorney in CO. Check The American Association of Nurse Attorneys ("TAANA") lawyer referral service for a list of reputable practitioners in that jurisdiction. Click here for the correct link: http://www.taana.org/referral .